Hello all of you beautiful people! I know, I know, I know… I’ve been MIA as f@$k. I’m sorry! Life is funny. One day it feels as though you’re on a bus going through your usual “stops”, and then BOOM out of nowhere, you’re on a different route. All I can say is I’m sorry, I’m back, and I won’t be going missing again!
Mandatory Fun Updates: I got a new job at an amazing start up tech company, we’re living new a new zip code, and we have a new perspective on life (Gary Vee is the man). Every Cantua is doing well! We moved to the Biltmore/Uptown Phoenix neighborhood in some trendy-new- Chicago-loft-style apartments (we feel posh) and I am loving it so far! Maximus adjusted well and is super happy because he has a huge new park next door. The kitchen and bathroom are perfection (granite for days)! And now we have so many VEGAN options close by! My heart is so happy.
I’m back and I’m back with a deep desire to share more vegan knowledge and recipes with all of you. 🙂 My blog lets me spread my story, secrets, and habits. People are constantly asking me where I got “that” dress, the current recipes I love, and what I’m doing to stay looking so young… So for my “return recipe”, I’m sharing a recipe that has quickly became a staple in our home.. Vegan Lasagna. And it tastes just like lasagna your grandma used to make… but GUILT FREE!
I am beyond excited to share this with you guys! You have to give it a try. You won’t regret it, I promise!
Let’s start by showing you a photo right before it went in the oven…. (DROOL)!
Yes, you are seeing a vegan ricotta in there made from organic tofu. Let’s get into the recipe!
Here’s what you’ll need to have this amazingness:
- 16 oz organic extra firm tofu
- 1/2 cup chopped basil
- 1 lemon
- 1 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup of tahini
- sea salt
- handful of spinach
- 1/2 cup coconut aminos
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1.5 jars of your favorite pasta sauce or homemade if you’re fancy
- 1 package organic rice lasagna noodles
- 1 cup cashews soaked in water over night
- 1 cup flax milk
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- mixing bowl
- square baking dish of your choice
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Start boiling your water for your noodles.
- Drain your tofu and crumble off pieces into a mixing bowl. (Using a fork helps a lot.)
- Now add in your nutritional yeast, red pepper, sea salt, tahini, coconut aminos, garlic, chopped basil, and one big squeeze of lemon. Set aside.
- Put in your lasagna noodles and set timer.
- Prepare your tomato sauce and set aside.
- Prepare your cashew cheese by draining and rinse the cashews well. Put the cashews in a blender along with 1 cup non dairy milk of your choice, 1/2 cup nutritional yeast, 2 tbsp of fresh squeezed lemon, and 1 tbsp sea salt.
Remove from the oven and leave to cool for 5-10 minutes before serving.
- In the bottom of your desired baking dish, add 1 layer pasta sauce, a single layer of lasagna noodles, 1/3 of the tofu ricotta, and 1/3 of the cashew cheese. Repeat with 2/3 of sauce, lasagna noodles, 2/3 vegan ricotta, 1 bunch of spinach (single layer only), and 2/3 of the cashew cheese. Add final repeated layer, and then top with a generous amount of cashew cheese, sauce, and nutritional yeast!
- Bake in the over for 30-45 minutes depending on your oven.
- Eat & Enjoy! 🙂
Using a fork seems to help mash everything together. You really don’t need much else of a tool for this! Yummm…
You are really going to want to eat the whole thing if you try it. HOLY MOLY… SOOOOO GOOD! I can’t even…
Truth be told, I only did one layer of spinach because I thought I had a lot more. 🙂 Ops! We are all human though. The one layer provided just enough greens along with the basil mixed in!
When the lasagna came out the oven, I expected it to be good, but I didn’t expect it to be as amazing as it really is. The tofu ricotta is almost exact to a traditional ricotta minus all of the horrible factors involved with dairy!
The presentation on the plate truly blew me away! I’m always amazed at how amazing white plates make food look! It’s healthy, yummy, and a perfect way to end your day!
This meal provides about 6 servings and full of protein and grains! It’s a definite crowd pleaser! 🙂
PLEASE let me know in the comments down below if you try it, and send me your photos of it! I’d love to see your version of it!
Hope you have a wonderful weekend! See you real soon!